Things to do
Say hello to a giraffe in person, walk through a city-centre forest or go shopping. Whether you have a few hours or a few days, Nairobi has much to see and do.
Where to eat
- Talisman in Karen is probably Nairobi's best-known restaurant, serving a range of international foods, from sushi and pad Thai to risotto and fish and chips.
- Meat-eaters can dig into nyama choma (barbecued meat) at Carnivore or Road House Grill.
- Try the Lake Nakuru tilapia at Mama Oliech, where fish is a staple on the menu. For the full Kenyan experience, pair it with ugali (similar to polenta).
- The food court at Diamond Plaza Mall is the place to sample Indian food (Nairobi has a big Indian population) such as samosas, chicken tikka, butter naan bread and sweet jalebis. For more formal Indian dining, head to Open House Restaurant.
- Sample the cheeses at award-winning Brown’s Cheese, around an hour from Nairobi city centre. The dairy farm produces everything from feta to Camembert. Explore the farm, sample the cheeses at a tasting and have lunch with a view across the verdant hills.